The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2009-12-31

The Look Back

Many bloggers have been doing their 'Best of' lists for 2009 and I've thouroughly enjoyed looking back at some of their favourite outfits. I do plan on doing such a list but I figured I'd wait until the first anniversary of the blog in Febuary and then do a deep post about the effect of blogging and a light post about my personal favourite outfits. I figured today I would do a post on the clothing workhorses of my closet, the 2009 edition. You know the clothes that do overtime but are never given the respect they deserve?... I'm honouring them with a feature. All these items have been featured on the blog but you have no idea how much I actually wear them in real life(clearly my smalls don't make the list though they do hard work everyday).

1. The faux-fur vest
yearend4
Where? Talize
How much? $4.50 (50% off sale)
Why? I bought this vest on a whim in the spring and it has become a favourite. Soft like kittens, warm like toaster ovens and chic like silk stockings. One of the best quality faux fur pieces I have touched... go on pet it on your computer screen...amazing, right?

2. The Ralph Lauren plaid shirt
yearend5
Where? Talize
How much? $3.50 (50% off sale)
Why? The colours and linen fabric of this shirt are perfect. So many days I have grabbed this shirt and thrown it over a pair of jeans or tucked it into a skirt and accessorized it to death. Sometimes I iron it (Ok, Matt does) or sometimes I grab it from the never ending laundry pile (the clean one!) and wear it in all its wrinkly glory.

3. The Roots braided belt
yearend3
Where? Talize
How much? $4
Why? If you've read my blog for a while, you know I'm a sucker for some nice brown leather. This belt is the perfect colour of brown and the right size to sit in my natural waist. This leather belt earns its keep by holding up countless skirts and dresses. Occasionally, I force myself to grab another belt (there are lots) but mostly I give in and grab my favourite.

Without meaning to (I'm definitely not paid to talk about Talize... but I should be), I realize that the anchors of my wardrobe are all thrifted and cost me a grand total of $12. Which makes me wonder how much I spend on the not so hard working pieces of my wardrobe because I'm... broke... But happy. What are the unsung heroes of your closet?

Finally, I just want to show you a recent and wonderful thrift find.
year-end

year-end1

It's a handknit, wool, made in U.S.A. Perry Ellis sweater completely adorned with paillettes. It is in perfect condition, probably never worn and of course, freaking fabulous. I have no idea how or when I am going to wear it but this is a special piece. I paid a little more for it than I usually would thrifting but it's worth every penny. When you touch it, you feel quality and suddenly all your h&m and F21 clothing seem... lacking. Don't get me wrong, h&m has contributed to my wardrobe in many ways but this is the real deal. This is fashion.

Wow! Ok! Crazy lady fashion rant is over! I just want to take a moment to once again thank anyone who has ever read or commented on my blog! Seriously, thanks for caring... I feel like I 'know' some of you guys now and I wish we could have a super-fantastic blogger NYE party! It would include laptops, cameras, kitty-cats and hors d'oeuvres made with cranberry sauce left over from the huge batch I made for Christmas. It would be EPIC.
Happy New Years!
See you next year!
xo

15 comments :

Danielle said...

A blogger nye party would be so amazing!!! :) Love your take on the best of!

stilettolover91 said...

I love the faux fur vest in the first photo!!

http://www.hottheels.blogspot.com

Secondhand Stella said...

So jealous... you find the best things at the thrift store!!!!

One of my fav items in my closet is a vintage tooled leather belt I found at the thrift store this past spring for $1.

e edith said...

I love the belt - I have one like it in black that ends up on me a lot :)

Happy New Year!

Linda said...

Ah yes all these pieces have been good to you. Remember when you left that shirt at my rents after the wedding? Must have KILLED you!

Sidewalk Chic said...

Love that vest -- that was a great find! And congrats on finding your new sweater. Hope you have a fantastic New Year's Day! :) - JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

Orchid Grey said...

I like the idea of doing a list like this and holy cow that perry ellis top is AMAZING! what a find! Happy New Year, thank you for all your sweet comments!

E said...

That faux fur dress and that sequin top are totally my favorite!

Kyla said...

Happy New Year! Thank you for being such an awesome reader and blog friend!

Lara said...

Thanks for the comment! I love your blog btw!

Leah said...

A perfect tribute to such lovely pieces... the Perry Ellis sweater is just too fabulous. It is such a great buy.

I noticed that you have red bricks in your home too. I love the character that bricks gives to homes.

Happy new year sweetie! All the best for 2010. xoxo

Julia said...

Dude, I feel you on the quality of designer clothing over F21. That's one of the reasons I mostly thrift. If I've got 20$ to spend, I'll get five real silk things at thrift stores versus one crappy polyester dress at f21. I've found Dior and Ungaro items. Even Burberry! It can be done!

xx

Christen said...

That Perry Ellis piece is gorgeous! And I'm with you, I'm so obsessed with my "real" pieces it makes me think twice before spending dough at F21 or H&M.

sandy said...




افضل شركة دهانات بالرياض
فني صيانة مكيفات بالرياض
فني تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض
شركة صيانة افران الغاز بالرياض
شركة ديكور بالرياض

Sagaminghahaha said...

The ultimate article. Thank you for writing a good article to read.
Sa gaming สมัคร